Saturday, June 24, 2006

A Little Red, White and Blue




Loving the patriotic quilts and decorations seen in Blogland this week! While I haven't done any decorating--yet--for Independence Day, I do have a few photos. First up is an antique brick top that I purchased several years ago with the good intentions of handquilting it! Yeah, that'll happen! I do enjoy having it just as a top, though. Love to study the construction and handpiecing on the back so it may stay a top. Next photo contains a project done by my second graders many years ago as a culmination to a unit on Harry Truman, president from Missouri. The students selected a role for Harry that we had studied, then colored a picture about it on muslin. After heat-setting the crayon, I stitched the blocks together, added a little sashing and backing, and we tied the quilt, using buttons. Kids loved it!! In that same photo is a Little Quilts flag I made years back. The final photo is a wooden flag my brother-in-law made for me one year for Christmas. Cherish it to pieces!! This morning I worked on Block 6 of Birds of a Feather. Got a lot done, but it has some curved piecing and I'm pretty slow at that! Hopefully by tomorrow or Monday, I'll have a photo of it to post.

4 comments:

Darlene said...

I love the antique brick quilt top - I bet it would be lots of fun to study it's construction. Especially since it's handpieced. I'd probably enjoy it just as a top also. Love the wooden flag!

Melanie said...

There's nothing like hand made gifts..Looks like you've got the stuff to get ready for the season...
Melanie

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I love that antique bricks top! Your Harry Truman quilt is so special, and that is a wonderful wooden flag! So much eye candy. But I really, really love that antique top!

Laura said...

What great photos, I love the bricks top and the kids quilt is just so awesome. It looks really neat laying on top of the bricks quilt. They would make a great border for it!