Monday, June 12, 2006

Can't Dent My Stash!



Well, I finished the bullseye top this evening, but can't baste it for quilting till DH clears HIS stuff off MY two long tables in the basement!!! I needed to clear it off the design wall, though, so I could put back up the Lee's Surrender quilt. I found some great border and sashing fabrics at my LQS which is going out of business. All their fabs are 25% off. I need to stop back by and see if there were any interesting grays and blacks for the Snail Trail that I might have missed the other day. I did not even make a dent in my reds' stash!!! I was determined to use only stash for the bullseye top. It doesn't look QUITE this bright in "real life" LOL.
My mini group has definitely decided to make the opportunity quilt for next March's quilt show raffle. We are supposed to bring ideas to our meeting on Thursday. It needs to be something that all skill levels could handle, but interesting, gorgeous, and with great colors. We don't want much, huh? Any ideas? Of course, we have to be respectful of copyright since our guild does earn money on the raffle. The money is used to pay for speakers at our meetings. My thought is to pick a traditional block but put a new spin on it with some great fabrics. We had a pastel quilt this year so I'm thinking we are ready for brights or--my fave--primitive tones. Not many people in my guild are into the prim folk art though. We would like to include as many other members who would be willing to help out. Weather in KC has been delightful today. Mid-seventies, calm, partly sunny. I could handle that the rest of the summer!! We have been inundated with wonderful hummingbirds at the two feeders. Can't seem to get a decent photo of them as they are so incredibly fast. Also showing up at the hummingbirds' feeders (who knew?) are those gorgeous house sparrows, the ones with lots of rosy red on them. They appear to sip--just like the hummingbirds. The hummingbirds are aggressive, but the house sparrows seem downright human-friendly. I have the feeders situated so that I (and the cats) can watch them from the computer. Love the colors of nature's fabric.

6 comments:

Quilts And Pieces said...

gosh your bullseye is wonderful! Really red - but wonderful! How great that you found stuff at the LQS! I went to mine this weekend and just couldn't find anything to excite me! I"m glad you found stuff!

ForestJane said...

I love the random placement of the wites in your red bullseye quilt - it turned out so great!

dot said...

This is really nice. I like the one color theme. I also like the diagonalcut. I am thinking of doing another and will try this cut the next time. Thanks for sharing.

Fiona said...

This is really effective in the red colourway - I like it a lot.

Unknown said...

Brilliant - love it love it love it! - the diagonal cuts and fabric arrangements make it look like one of those childrens lenses you can look through to get multiple pictures of things or like looking through an insects compound eye. Really like the diagonal cuts but suffering a bit of cowardice wondering about stitching it back together and getting everything square if I had a go - will have to maybe have a little practice on that one - well done you - it's great :o)

Anonymous said...

Your bulls-eye quilt is FABULOUS! I can't believe that you hardly made a dent in your red stash. It sure turned out gorgeous.