Wednesday, June 07, 2006

EQ5 Fun


I have long been fascinated with Snail Trail quilts. I think it is because they look like they have curved seams when in reality, it's squares and triangles. I worked on drafting my own on graph paper--just because I think that is fun. I always liked geometry in school and that may be one reason why I love quilts so much! I came up with a block that was the size I wanted, then decided to play with it in EQ5. Barbara Brackman has a pattern for Monkey Wrench in Blockbase 2 that can be turned into a Snail Trail just by rotating some blocks. I wish I had more fabrics in the fabric library, but just played around with grey and black. Threw in a little teal (thanks, Jeanne, for that idea!) for accent. Then I decided to make a sample block from the pattern. I have learned to make a sample block to iron out all the bugs! I think it will be a fun quilt to make, but I will definitely have to pay attention!!! This quilt will go to Ryan, my older son. I have made a raggy quilt for DH and a Strippy for my younger son, Brett. It's Ryan's turn! However, DH will get the Lee's Surrender and Brett will get the Jo Morton Scrappy Stars quilt. I am aiming for the three to be done for Christmas. Ambitious, huh???? I also made 8 more bullseye blocks today. Will wait to post photos of those till the top is done. I will be making those blocks into a lap or sofa quilt. Those fuzzy bullseyes will feel good! Here's hoping that Blogger plays nice from now on!

8 comments:

Judy said...

Love the bullseye blocks, they are going to look great! The snails trail looks wonderful too. It's a pattern I have always wanted to try one day!

Melanie said...

What a Mom...I love the color differences. I never played with quilting software. Have fun.
Melanie

Joyce said...

I made a snail trail in orange and blue awhile back. It was fun to do. It's amazing how all those squares turn into almost curves.

Unknown said...

Always liked snail trail - you're right it is like magic how those straight lines turn into curves - a bit like storm at sea - very clever

Quilts And Pieces said...

Your snails trail quilt drawing and the sample block look great! I love blocks that look like curves but aren't!

Deb Hardman said...

I love this design too, but doubt if I'd ever make one, since I hate making 2 blocks of the same pattern (Isn't that why they made Ebay?). I do have an antique snail trail quilt that I bought. It isn't a museum piece, but I love it just the same!

Linda C said...

Isn't EQ fun!? I love playing with mine to see "what if I..." might look like with a touch of a button. One of my local quilting friends just got hers this week for her birthday but left a message that she thought she better try to follow the directions to learn how to use it, LOL. That part is not always her strong suit.

Holly said...

The snail's trail is one of my favorite blocks. I hope to make a scrappy one someday. Looking forward to seeing how yours turns out.