Sunday, June 18, 2006

Cathedral Window

While bloghopping this morning I came across this
neat start of a Cathedral Window at and sew it is and really liked it. It reminded me of a couple of CW pincushions I had made. The one on the left (note the telltale 70s calico center) I made in the early 70s. I always loved that little pinny and saved it for all these years. A few months back I decided I wanted to make some for our guild's boutique. Couldn't for the life of me remember HOW!! Did a little research, came up with the instructions for a CW, and voila, the one on the right was born. Love adding beads to the four points. Another thing I had forgotten was how blasted long it took to make one! Great handsewing for TV time though. Today being Fathers Day, I will take my husband on a picnic to either Smithville Lake or Watkins Mill State Park--two local spots of beauty. My own father passed away nine years ago and I still miss his practical advice, preparedness, and unconditional love.

5 comments:

Darlene said...

Cute, cute, cute! I've never been able to do a CW so Kudos to you for figuring it out! BTW, you have a wonderful blog - one that I visit regularly!

Nancy said...

When I went on retreat in April we had a little class on making these as Christmas ornaments. Just add a piece of ribbon to the top as a hanger and put a fabric square of Christmas fabric on each side. I never thought of making them as pin cushions but I might make some both ways for my guild's store they run at the quilt show every year.

MARCIE said...

This blogging thing is like finding pen pals all over the world! I like your blog and enjoyed your comments about the wildflower gardens. Maybe we work too hard. Your CW projects are so cute. I remember making those into pillows years ago. Take care!

Joyce said...

I have always wanted to try CWs but didn't think I'd want to do a whole quilt. Never thought of a pin cushion. What a great way to try one but not have to do dozens of them. I need a pincushion too. THanks for the inspiration!

Judy said...

I always thought those were so cool until I saw someone make one and then immmediately thought NO WAY. I know someone found a short-cut but it was still too complicated! Good for you!