Saturday, June 10, 2006

Back


I haven't been able to post for a couple of days due to a death in the family and going out of town for the services. My husband's uncle (aged 86) passed away Tuesday. It's always so poignant to see a loving spouse lose her mate after 66 years of marriage. They were good years and they were blessed with three wonderful children and seven grandkids. So sad for the mate left behind. Things like this always make me pause and take stock. On the quilting front very little has been accomplished. I did manage to get one set of the snail's trail up on the wall. I had decided after sewing the first sample block that I just really do not like using templates!!! Bad me. I have become so spoiled to strip cutting and piecing. So I did a little search through my gazillion patterns and directions and came across a very simplified version with all strip cutting---no templates! Yay. This should go much faster. My mini group is discussing doing the opportunity quilt for the guild this year. That adds another huge project to the ever growing list!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear of your loss - I was widowed after 5 years which was bad enough but after 66 years she must feel like her entire right side has been cut off - lots of people don't even live to be 66 never mind stay married that long. As you say things like this do make you step back and be thankful for what you have:o) - quite understand about the aversion to templates - with the new instructions you'll make much better progress - looking great so far :o)

Joyce said...

Sorry about your relative. Difficult time for everyone.
I did my snails trail with the roatry cutter and it turned out fine. Not difficult at all. IT looks comlicated but it was one of the easier patterns I've done.

Unknown said...

How bizarre is this I bought some very old magazines that were on the sales table at my quiting group last week - when glancing at them over a sandwich for lunch, in one from 1998 what should one of the patterns be but exactly the way you have done your snail trail with the plain block in between the pieced blocks - amazing!

Judy said...

I'm sorry for your loss and sad that his widow will now be alone. But she will have her kids to help her through, enven though nothing can take the place of a love for that long.

The Snail's Trail is looking good. I've never used templates and don't think I will ever give myself the chance, unless it's something super fantastic...and then there's bound to be a simpler way, just like you found!

I'm starting on the KC Birds block #2. Yours look wonderful! I' still waiting for the website to offer block #5, they are late!

Melanie said...

My heart goes out to your loved ones. It's never easy losing those you love. My folks have been married for 56 years. I can't imagine either of them without each other. I missed not seeing your posts.
Take care
Melanie

Ann said...

aww, so sorry to hear about the death in the family. Hope the widow's children and grandchildren keep her company in this hard time.
I'm loving the snails trail. It's a pattern I've admired a while now. Can't wait to see yours all done!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Sorry to read the news. It does make one stop and think doesn't it. Your snails block looks great!

Linda C said...

sorry to hear of your loss and that of your aunt--gosh, I didn't realize I was a few days behind reading your blog. Normally I try to stop by everyday to see what you are up to.