Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Best Laid Plans


Today's agenda was to (a) go to Tuesday Mornings to purchase a Roman shade for my kitchen door (so I wouldn't have to make one!). They open at 10 (or so I thought) and I knew these shades would sell out fast at $29.95 so I was there at 10. I looked around for the shades and then asked a salesgirl where they were. She replied that she didn't think there were any left. What???? Today is the first day of the sale, how can that be??? Well, they opened at 8 this morning. AARRGH. They didn't have any I liked. Next item (b) was to exchange a hummingbird feeder at Lowe's. Well, they were out of the kind I wanted. Another AARRGH. Decided to come home (c) and start on Son #1's Snail Trail quilt. All the patterns I have are for small blocks and I wanted larger ones--so I will have to draft my own--tomorrow! Okay, I thought, let's do some (d) more free-motion quilting on Spin. What? I only have a small bit of that special Signature variegated thread on the spool--not nearly enough!!!!! Don't want to make another trip out. I just want to sew, darn it. Well, thank goodness for those red bullseyes. Got sixteen of those babies whipped out. They still need to be squared up, but I will wait till I get all of them done, then square to the smallest of the blocks. That's right, they're not all the same size!!!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I guess the reason for them not being square and the same size is because you're slicing them diagonally and have to contend with bias edges - mine were pretty close on the straight cuts - well close enough to be able to tug and persuade a little where necessary - your reds are looking so nice - think I may well be inspired by them to go on to do an all blue one once I've finished my scrappy.

Kim West said...

When I did QST bullseyes, I had a problem with the squaring up as well.

Ann said...

Aww, sorry you had such rotten luck today. I'm finally starting to come down, I think! First the baby news(that I STILL can't mention on MY blog) then the new job.....all within a week of one another! I've been pretty much up in the air for over a week now! Glad you got some sewing in though! We can ALWAYS find something to sew, can't we?

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh sorry to hear about your Arghhh day! Geez, I have days like that too! But your bullseyes blocks look great! At least you got something accomplished.

Fiona said...

Love those colours - and hey, they'll all be square in the end :-)

Linda C said...

not all the same size? No worries, mate! That's why they make rotary cutters for something like this. I bet the stitching pulls them in a bit with each successive layer, like other applique does.

I thought I had some red fabric but near what you do--but then most of it is fats.

BTW I know that the profile and side columns will get out of whack when you widen the main column too much on your template--sometimes my dashboard page does the same thing and when I close and come back to it, its okay. I would have looked on the help page yesterday but all the sudden, several of my bookmark folders disappeared too---naturally the blog one was one of them. Poltergeists, I tell you.

Joyce said...

Love all the reds in your quilt. I always thougt different sized squares were a normal part of quilting!

Laura said...

I love, love, love this bullseye in red! Fantastic!