Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Are We Having Fun Yet?

Hump Day already! Where do the days go??? I've spent a lot of time the last couple of days trying to "tidy up" around here. We'll have company over the Fourth and boy, is that ever a wake-up call! We have off-white carpet throughout the house. (File that under, What Was I Thinking?) After eight years, it is beginning to look a bit frazzled, but with two cats around, I'm not ready to replace it yet. So out came the home carpet cleaning Bissell machine. It does help some. DH has decided that we need a new sofa. Yep, we probably do but after visiting several furniture stores, including the HUGE Nebraska Furniture Mart in Kansas City, Kansas (original one is actually IN Nebraska!!), I saw nothing to fall in love with. Maybe this is just a down time for sofas in the furniture biz! We did see one that we both fell in love with at Dillards. $2800. Hello! Don't think so. In addition to spiffying up the place, I have been starting to get ready for a garage sale to be held in late July with DSis and DSisIL. It will probably be 110 degrees here in KC. (Wish I knew how to make that little degree sign on the keyboard.) Time is getting away. Friday we are driving to Omaha to see Son#1. It will be his birthday so we'll take him out to eat, deliver his prezzie, take him a box of lemon bars (his favorite cookie) and visit a while. I'm hoping to hit a couple of quilt shops in Omaha---they have some great ones. Then it's back home to KC same day. Saturday we'll attend a surprise 60th birthday party for a friend. Tomorrow is another session to work on the raffle quilt. Phew! I'm wearing myself out just thinking about it! All I wanted to do when I retired was stay home and sew LOL! Thought I'd post a photo of a project I am working on with one of my online groups. It is a calendar quilt. Theoretically we are to add one strip a day, then at the end of the year we'll have a quilty record of 2006. Surprisingly I have been able to keep up with it, even stay a bit ahead. It's been so fun to dig through novelty fabrics and seasonal stuff to find appropriate strips. I have also machine-embroidered a few strips to note special days. And I always include strips from the project that I am working on that month. I am going to use the Chinese Coins setting. I may have to use six months' strips for the front and six months' strips for the back!! As I finish stitching together a full month, I roll it around an empty paper towel roll. Takes up less space to store. On a Bullseye note, DH finally got the tables in the basement cleared off and I was able to pin baste the quilt. I have started the machine quilting on it and have about 1/2 more to do. Another fun, fun quilt! Blogging and quilting may be sparse the new few days!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

that's a really nice idea adding to those chinese coins each day with something meaningful - have a great time with your son :o)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Your calendar quilt is looking great! I love how you put the names of special days on there!

Jeanne said...

You sure are on the go! I like the way the calendar quilt is coming along. Can't wait to see a pic of the bullseye when it's done!
Jeanne :)

Ali Honey said...

That's a lovely idea,I hadn't seen that before. Have a nice time with your son, but don't forget to smell the roses, and look after yourself! Best Wishes from Alison.

Tonya Ricucci said...

That calendar quilt is such a cool idea - I love it. The quilt looks great so far. I might just have to try that some year.

sewprimitive karen said...

A calendar quilt...what a fabulous idea and a way to remember all the wonderful quilt fabrics we find year by year.

Finn said...

I love your calendar quilt idea...never would have thought of that one!!!
And you making it very much your own, with the special embroidered stips...great thinking!!