Monday, August 28, 2006

Stalling Tactics

I have projects to be working on, I do, I do. Found an adequate red tone-on-tone yesterday at Rustic Yearnings ( a local quilt shop with Sunday afternoon hours--yay) and finished sewing the 49 directional rail fence blocks. They are just sitting on the design wall waiting to be stitched into rows. I found my border fabrics for the Lee's Surrender quilt. They, too, await attention! But I am stalling! Don't know why. I also need to pick up my fabric pack from another quilt shop for Block 8 of Birds of a Feather. The fusible pieces are traced and just waiting patiently for fabric. But what do I want to play with??? Halloween! I found this very cute witch fabric and it reminded me of some witches I made for Halloween pasts. One is a pattern from AP&Q a year or so back. The other is a crayon witch I made several years back. Now I want to make more witches, more, more, more!!! Heck, I may even applique a witch onto my wonky house, who knows? Halloween is really wasted on kids LOL!

While at Rustic Yearnings yesterday, I also saw the complete line of Mistletoe Manor. Wow, talk about beautiful. There is an amazing quilt in the July/August 2006 Fons and Porter mag using this line of fabric. And...apparently it was made using fusible web! It is so very pretty. I did buy a piece of the Mistletoe Manor in a beigy tone-on-tone to use for borders on the directional rail. Will add some simple applique in the corners. Also, kudos to Linda for her great memory!! Yes, I was going to make a Snail Trail out of blacks, greys, whites and teals for older son! But I have since decided to make a paper-pieced Storm At Sea. Finding the dark teals I want is proving to be more difficult than I thought. Must not be the "in" color. That's me--always a season or two behind the times. Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

All this talk about Halloween around the Ring has made me remember a flannel Halloween panel I purchased and aged for a while. I should pull it out and use it for quilting practice. And then hang it for Halloween.

Hedgehog said...

Those witches are great! Have fun with them. Lucky you with the quilt shop with Sunday afternoon hours, too!

quiltpixie said...

somedays are just for stalling... you'll get past it :-)

Linda C said...

Hard to know where to start next!

Patti said...

Vera, how dark do you need your dark teal to be? Teal isn't my color at all, and I think I have quite a few pieces that would qualify for dark teal. If you send me your address I'll send you some. Or if you'd like to see them first to pick and choose let me know, and I can email you scans of the fabric.

Unknown said...

Hi Vera, next time your in town at Rustic Yearnings, I'd love to meet up for a little visit I am only 15 minutes away from there an 30 min from Quilters Station....I love your withch one of my very favorite things is to color on my fabric with crayons...
Hugs Tina

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

Hummm - sounds like you like piecing the blocks best? That would describe me... I love piecing small units, but getting them squared, sewn into rows, bordered... well - I stall there too.

I feel a touch of fall in the air - no wonder why everyone is thinking of Halloween.

And teals? I have someone wanting a quilt from me in light greens, teals, turquois, etc. - hard to find those colors right now so I haven't started... oh well - if you are going to be picky about the colors, you get to wait!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Quilts And Pieces said...

Thats ok, I"m here on the computer at home after being on it all day at work, stalling working on the quilting of my liberated logs borders! You have got to love those green faces!

ForestJane said...

I think maybe your creative inner-self is telling you that you need to cut out and applique those witches on your rail fence quilt... :)

Passionate Quilter said...

stalling? no--you have already made all the design decisions on the other ones and are part way done. There is NEW stuff calling your name now--we can't help it that we hear voices now, can we? heeheehee

Finn said...

Love your witches...*VBS* You know that Halloween stuff just gets into your blood and ya gotta go for it!
Probably the teacher in you, celebrating the coming of Autumn and a new school year...LOL I'll use any excuse I can think of to work with Halloween fabrics. For me, it's my birthday month so I get to make more and more...*G* Have fun..whether it's borders or witches. Hugs, Finn