Sunday, August 27, 2006

A Little Stash Reduction Fun


Thursday at my guild's Sewing Bee we worked on further reducing our stashes with a project called Directional Rail Fence. I have had this line of Moda coordinates on my shelf for a lo-o-ong time so was glad to use it for SOMETHING! The colors in this photo don't look very accurate, but it is a nice mix in person. However it is coming together a bit darker than I had imagined in my mind's eye LOL. I was short on the red so will be on a chase this week for a tone-on-tone bright red to finish the strips. Also I am thinking I will need an appliqued border on the dirty tan shade in the birds--something very simple. This will either be a cuddle-up quilt or a fold-and-lay-across-the-foot-of-the-bed quilt or a donation quilt. I will use it as a practice-freemotion-quilting piece also. The pieces for each block are a center piece 10x6 and two side strips 2 1/2x10. The center pieces are for prints that have a direction to them. Each block squares to 10x10. There was an easier and faster way to construct this quilt by cutting strips selvage to selvage, stitching strips, then subcutting---but since I had the bright idea to fussy-cut the bird fabric, mine took a tad longer. But still...fast, fun, and forgiving!

13 comments:

Judy said...

Looks wonderful Vera!! Love the birds and the punch of red!

Hedgehog said...

What pretty bird fabric! I like the red, too.

Nancy said...

Don't you just love what can be done with such a simple block? I like that you've fussy cut so the blocks are directional. A bit more trouble but worth it in the end. Good luck finding a good blendy red. It shouldn't be too hard with all the choices out there now.

Norma said...

Thanks for showing us your rail fence. This gives me an idea for some of the prints that I have in my stash. Cutting the prints 10 inches x 6 inches will preserve the design of most prints in my statsh. I always hate to cut them if the pieces are too small and I loose the design of the print itself.

Linda_J said...

This looks easy enough to do and lets you keep the prints intact in a fairly good sized chunk. Gotta love that red fabric. When I saw the storm at sea I wondered if you got to give up on the monotoned neutral quilt that your son requested?

I made a small SAS for a donation quilt and showed it on a working with challenge fabric post a month or so back. I foundation pieced mine for the same reasons you mentioned--those diamonds!

Darlene - Dazed Quilter said...

That looks like a fun project. I love it!

quiltpixie said...

the red is providing a great sense of the rail fence while letting you vary the other fabric...

paula, the_quilter said...

I consider red a neutral. It works with a lot of other colors. Nice. /paula

Dawn said...

Oh I LOVE those colors! It looks wonderful! I can't wait to see it completed!

Finn said...

Love the quilt! I think it's a good use of those fabrics. Each is distinct enough to show up, and it showcased the bird fabric perfectly..*VBS* Thanks for sharing, Finn

cher said...

looks like a fast and fun set of blocks..looking forward to seeing how you solve the red issue..and seeing it done of course

Ruth said...

Looks lovely. I like the bird fabric

EileenKNY said...

Those fabrics are so rich looking. It will finish up really nice with a red border.