Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A Little Progress


The Great Stash Reorganization of 2006 continues. The folded fabrics represent what was left after plowing through all the tubs and pulling out "scraps" --though many of the pieces were really too big to be considered scraps! I didn't have as much fabric as I thought I did LOL! However, I did fill up 7 big white plastic bags with the so-called scraps!!! I would have preferred having the folded fabric with the folds facing out, but none of my shelving options would accomodate that. But at least now I can just flip through the stacks and find what I want. I wasn't very good about taking tubs down before and opening them up and digging. I think I can get so-o-o much better use of the fabric with it out in the open like this. Why, I should be able to get LOTS more quilts made!!! A girls can dream, can't she? The shelving in the other photo holds some project tubs, theme fabrics, etc. The seven bags of scraps await me in the basement. I will cut them into usable sizes for scrap quilts and also donate some of it. I decided that I can work on this off and on and if I still have quite a bit left, it will go to the guild's auction in January. It helps me to have a cut-off date! My sewing room looks so much tidier and cleaner now. It was getting very difficult for me to create in that messy, disorganized space. This afternoon I had lunch with my sister. We also forced ourselves to get in a little shopping! She heads back to work on Thursday so this was our last summer outing. Boy, I wish that girl would retire!!!

15 comments:

Patti said...

Wow Vera - this is looking really good! You will SO love having your fabric out on shelves like this. Seems to me that the quilters who have the hardest time using stash instead of shopping are the ones who keep their stash boxed up where it can't be seen. Just walking into the room and looking at the shelves makes my fingers itch to start pulling fabic down and creating. Keep up the good work - and setting yourself a deadline of January is great - and doable!

Linda C said...

You are making good progress. Looks so neat and tidy while digging through bins just messes up the whole deal.

I love that--"wish that girl would retire" You would have more time to have fun together then, I bet. Does she like to quilt or sew?

Melanie said...

Atta Girl!!!! I need to give you my address...boy could you make a difference in my sewing room. I'm going to work on my room tonite!!!
Melanie

Gail said...

All that folding must have been quite a project, but I bet you will get much better use out of your stash now. Good job!

Bonnie said...

Yes, I'm just positive that you will get a lot more quilting done. And if you do, then I'm going to switch from plastic tubs to folded fabric on shelves. Let us know in a month or so which is better. I would love to be more organized - and right now stuffing fabric into tubs is faster and neater for me. Maybe I need to re-think.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh Vera it looks so wonderful! I find I am more creative with my fabrics out where I can see them. Plus I just love looking at the colors! This looks great!

Darlene said...

Wow, you're working hard and it's looking great!

Carol said...

Looks like great progress to me! I love having my fabric on shelves.

Juliann in WA said...

this looks wonderful - I have been reorganizing too but I stayed with the tubs for my storage - I like the look of your fabric piles - very inviting

Joyce said...

Your sewing room looks great. I wonder if it will be hard to keep from just pulling fabric out and not folding and returning it to its proper place. THat is always my problem. I can get organized but not keep it that way. Good on you if you can!

Fiona said...

I am so untidy I have to keep my stash in bins but yours looks great on the shelves.

Finn said...

It's looking terrific!! I imagine it does feel like you don't have enough now that you see it on the shelves...but remember those big white bags!!
And I don't know about you, but sometimes any specific little piece seems to last waaaay too long! COngratulations!! That was a good job done!

Tazzie said...

Your fabric looks so organised! It'll be so easy to find 'just the fabric you're looking for' now!
*hugs*
Tazzie

Anonymous said...

looks like great progress with the re-org!

Vicky said...

Waytago! Want to come do mine? LOL

I admire you getting it all organized. You're going to be really zipping out those quilts now!

((HUGS))