Saturday, August 19, 2006

Did I Really NEED It???


This morning was "run errand" morning--dry cleaners, library, grocery store, etc. I "happened" to pass by JoAnn's on my route and darn car turned in without even asking. And...I did have that 40% off coupon burning a hole in my pocket! I thought about using it for rotary cutter blades or Heat 'n' Bond Lite or thread, but my nosy little self went down the book aisle (always dangerous!) and saw this. I have eyed this book in a couple of quilt shops lately, but declined because the patterns are all traditional ones that I already have. However, I took one last peek through it and had an epiphany!!! Yep, right there in JoAnn's--a brain storm. I saw that this book was an "encyclopedia" of scrap quilts with good ideas for scrap sizes. Since I am on a mission now to get my scraps into usable sizes, I thought this book would be helpful and would be a good incentive to get with it. So I purchased it. The quilt on the cover has been floating around blogland and other internet spots a lot lately and I have been intrigued by it. This may well be my first quilt made with the new scraps o'plenty beginning to sprout in my sewing room. The author calls it Arkansas Crossroads. I had wondered how the pointies got on the outside edges!!! Now I know the secret....

22 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

A very good buy! There is an antique quilt in a Vintage Quilts magazine that has those going-out pointies. Are the pointie squares actually two triangles?

Darlene said...

You have a car like mine! A mind of its own but knows what you like. You'll love that book!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh that looks like a great book, and with a 40% off coupon! Oh baby! Now I have to go look for one with mine!

quiltpixie said...

they say in the future cars will come with an automatic pilot... Like you, I think mine already has it some days :-)

just jenn said...

Very nice quilt. There are two seperate blocks that you make for that quilt basically right?

Linda C said...

Sounds like a good reference book for you then---I do love those blocks. One of my quilter friends has two tops in the works like that--she was working with a bag of cut squares.

Gail said...

Uh oh, you have one smart car on your hands! Mine is smart too, but it turns into our neighborhood when I WANT to go to a store--maybe we could trade once in a while?

ForestJane said...

I like that quilt too... lol
It looks like a great one for using a large amount of little squares.

So, you going to share the secret?

Susan said...

Yes, you really needed it. =)

I save a lot of money on buying blades by having my sharpened by a guy in West Virginia. He sharpens mine and sends my own back. They last longer than the new ones!

Anonymous said...

I just bought this book too. It has some great easy but good looking patterns in it. I will have to look thru it again tonight.

Rebecca

Eileen said...

Great purchase-it will probably help cut down that stash pile. The cover quilt reminds me of a Bonnie Hunter style quilt.

Tazzie said...

Of course you really needed it! When you're on a stash reduction program, you will need ideas to help you reduce the stash ...
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Finn said...

I think your purchase was an inspired one!! Any book that has lots and lots of good ideas for scrap quilts, and gives you sizes that are needed is a wonderful investment!!
Good job on not buying fabric with that coupon!!

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

If you really are going to use one of the patterns to make a top, use some scraps, enjoy looking at the pictures, you had a coupon... etc. - well of course you really needed it! Maybe I need that book too!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Sweet P said...

I have this book too. It is a great source for scrap quilts. I've marked 4 or 5 of them for making some day.

Patti said...

Of course you REALLY needed it! After all, this wasn't an impulse purchase. You've looked at it twice before and put it back. You also got it for a very good price. I'd say you made a wise decision!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a fantastic book. I subscribe to the philosophy that you can never have too many books and there is no such thing as an unnecessary book purchase...

Hedgehog said...

My car has a way of doing that, too!

Shelina said...

That quilt is on my to-do list too. Because it is just so cute. It is called chicklets, and the pattern is free online, although it must have sashing because it didn't create those x's.

Anonymous said...

Have fun with your new book and scraps!

dot said...

I have been eyeing this book also. I might have to consider for the same reasons, makes sense to me.

Mary Johnson said...

I can't believe there's a book I haven't seen. I'm going to have to wait one more week before I go looking for it since my August challenge is to NOT buy any quilt books (or start any new quilt projects).