Monday, May 29, 2006

You Say KLEM-a-tis, I Say kle-MATT-is


What a happy year it has been for my clematis vines! I always have to laugh at the many different pronunciations I hear for the various flowers in my yard. I say pee-OH-nee, a friend says PEE-a-nee. I say why-JEEL-ya, my friend says WEE-ja-la, and on and on!!! Hummingbirds have begun to visit the new feeder--yay! Now Natasha can sit atop the sofa back and watch their flitterings till her heart's content. This Memorial Day weekend has been one of remembrance, family, and friendship. On Saturday my "baby" sister and I visited the cemetary to decorate the graves of our parents. I still had a few irises and peonies left in the garden and added in some loosestrife, a couple of Stella d'Oro daylilies, and some catmint for a scrumptious bouquet to place between two wreaths my sister brought along. We stayed graveside for quite a while and reflected. She is 11 years younger so our childhoods were somewhat different but also had a lot of common experiences. I think it is good to remember. We didn't have a lot of money growing up but we ALWAYS knew we were loved. Saturday evening DH and I attended a 40th anniversary surprise party for dear, dear friends. Other close friends came in to KC from Indianapolis to attend also. What a great evening of visiting, laughing, remembering old times, and--more laughing. Yesterday was devoted to the yard. DH is working hard to get out any poison ivy and other noxious weeds so I can work in my gardens without RASH! Of course, I have to follow him around to make sure he doesn't throw out the baby with the bath water--if you know what I mean!!!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely clu-MAY-tis - hope mine all grow up to be that ambitious on the flowering front - I can never make up my mind how to pronounce it either but this is usually what I go with

Sue Seibert said...

Sounds as though you had a wonderful, memory- and botanical-filled weekend. I love the photo!

Ann said...

Hiya! Beautiful clu-MAT-us! ;) And sounds like a lovely weekend. Ours was pretty good, too, though after the float trip on Saturday, we spent Sunday and Monday cleaning and sorting junk! It needed done, though. I love surprise parties. I've never had one, but had a WONDERFUL surprise on my birthday last week, so know how great it is to be surprised!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Gorgeous flowers! I say PEE-a-nee! Never had to say why-jeel-ja!

Susan Tidwell said...

I was just looking at the clematis in the plant/bulb catalog, I think they would do good here! Is it easy to grow?

A gardening question - I received an Easter Lily in a pot (at Easter) - can I plant that in the ground and will it come back next year?

Thanks for sharing your great pictures!