Thursday, September 15, 2011

Tricked Out Kansas City







After years in the making--literally--our piece de resistance is finally opening! The Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, the feather in Kansas City's cap, is so incredibly beautiful. I wish these photos did better justice. Sunday is a free open house for the new center and I plan to be there--along with at least 25,000 of my closest friends. Watching the construction go slowly along, I would always breathe a spontaneous "Wow!" every time we drove by. It always made me think of the Sydney Opera House. We are so lucky here in KC to have many things we can feel pride in. Fountains galore, the Country Club Plaza, many museums including the nationally renown Nelson, professional sports teams Chiefs & Royals, wonderful restaurants...I could go on and on. Yep, I love my city. Well, except for the summer humidity and the winter ice storms! I am so excited that this newest work of art is opening. Maybe it will put Kansas City on the map!

Peach Butter

One of Hubs' favorite things this past month has been peach butter--kind of a cross between jelly and sauce. So delicious on an English muffin or toast. We have already gone through two jars and the three that I have held back for gifts may go the way of all things yummy!

In a large pot bring to a boil and reduce to simmer : four pounds of peaches (blanched, iced, peeled and chunked) with one cup of water till tender, about 15-20 minutes. Puree with immersion blender. Add 3 cups sugar and the juice of 1 lemon. Bring to strong simmer, stirring frequently. Cook for about 30-40 minutes till thickened. Ladle hot peach butter into hot, sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4" headspace. Remove air bubbles and wipe rims. Put on lids and rings. Process in boiling water canner 10 minutes. Remove to towel and DO NOT DISTURB for several hours. Check for seal.

*This recipe was adapted from Ball Blue Book. I decreased the sugar called for and increased the water and added lemon juice for acidity!

2 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

Well, that does look like the Sydney Opera House, my goodness!! Have a great time at the opening!

Karmen said...

Oh yes! Thanks for giving me a head's up about the Opera House. I will have to plan to attend an event there sometime soon. Karmen