Monday, July 28, 2008

Tomatoes Take Over the World!

Seems like just a day or two ago that I was wishing for--no, lusting after fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes. Happens every year. I think I can't wait another second for that first juicy bite of that first yummy tomato off the vine. Ahhh...was there ever a more perfect taste? Well, yeah, chocolate. But I don't know how to grow chocolate.
Okay, so the first one comes and goes. Then another and another and then...thirty of them are sitting on the kitchen counter!!! So this morning was the time to make the salsa. Here's a quick shot of the bounty before it goes into the freezer.






And here's my favorite salsa recipe. You're gonna need 25 to 30 ripe, peeled, chopped tomatoes, juice of 1/2 a lemon, a chopped green or red bell pepper, a chopped onion, 1/2 can mild green chiles (freeze the other 1/2 in a baggie), 1/4 cup white vinegar, 1/4 cup honey, kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste, and 1/2 t. paprika. Place all ingreds in a large Dutch oven and bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce to a simmer and cook till desired consistency is reached (at least an hour.) Let cool. Freeze in smallish containers. Now if you are thinking, "This doesn't sound very spicy!" then you would be right. DH and I are the king and queen of bland. But it would be very easy to add some heat to this recipe. Think chopped jalapenos or habaneros or whatever your fire of choice would be.


Okay, salsa is put to bed, cook is relaxing, all's well with the world when....the kitchen counter suddenly looks like this---AGAIN!
Hmmmm.....I think I foresee a science fiction movie in the future. Those darn tomatoes are definitely multiplying at an alarming rate. Thank goodness, I have neighbors who are always willing to take a sack or two off my hands.

11 comments:

Libby said...

Those doggoned squirrels are keeping me from having a counter full of delicious ripe tomatoes . . . how I long to slice some for breakfast, more for lunch, chop some into a salad, complain that I'll never put in so many plants again *s* Your salsa sound deeeelish!

Anonymous said...

Sounds delish...and looks it too.

SuBee said...

ROFL - better keep the tomatoes away from the zucchini! They really will take over the world!!! Your recipe looks good - I'm going to try that one.

Lorraine said...

couldn't agree more about the taste of the first tomato off the vine......not much happening with the garden here - nothing is poking it's head up...too cold....but spring will be here before we know it! Enjoy your salsa and whatever else you make from those wonderful tomatoes!

Teresa said...

Yum....that does look good. I too love fresh tomatoes from the garden. I can just sit and eat them like apples. Wished I lived near by you and I would gladly take a sack off your hands.

dee said...

much to be said for picking your neighbors carefully. Alas...we are so far away from your bountiful garden.
Sounds very yummy!

jacquie said...

as the song says...there's nothin better than good lovin and home grown tomatoes!

Finn said...

Looks like the great Tomato Caper is underway *VBS* But they do look wonderful, and taste sooo much better than any the store ever has! Enjoy, winter will blow in before we know it *VBS* Hugs, Finn

Barb said...

I have tomato envy! I can't grow anything (born with a black thumb!) but boy ~ nothing better than home grown tomatoes!

Conni said...

Loved your post about tomatoes! And salsa is sooo pretty. BTW, they already made a horror movie about tomatoes..."Attack of the Killer Tomatoes"...have you seen it!!! LOL!!! It's a very old movie (1970's, I believe!!!

julieQ said...

Yummy tomatoes!! Your salsa looks so very good. We grow jalapenos also, to put in the salsa.