Friday, July 11, 2008

New Technique

Our guild had the most amazing speaker yesterday! She is Margaret Bucklew of Chiseled In Cloth. Being the rank amateur photographer that I am, these photos are not going to begin to do justice to her awesome work. But basically her topic was how to turn photographs into beautiful detailed portrait quilts, using Photoshop on the computer. Of course, it helped that she was a retired college computer graphics art teacher!!! But after showing a delightful array of her small quilts, she gave us a demonstration of how she uses Photoshop to convert a photo into a quilt pattern, complete with value, shading, etc. Just a most amazing program. As is the case in most groups, there were all kinds of varying degrees of computer abilities, but the entire audience was engrossed in this demo!!! I would wager to say that Photoshop's sales went up by at least one or two yesterday!!





I realized after loading these photos into my own computer, that I did not even capture the most amazing ones---darn it!! She had two or three of military men that were just downright tearjerkers. And one of her own dad that she used for the computer demo that was just fantastic. Maybe next time...








Later in the afternoon DH and I journeyed to a local shopping center where an organic farmers market was going on. Just the most beautiful produce you've ever seen! I restrained myself and bought only what I thought we'd eat in the next couple of days--yummy, just-picked-that-morning green beans, zucchini, yellow squash, tomatoes, blueberries, 9-grain bread, and for DH's sweet tooth, the most delicious blueberry pie! It was a very small market but everything looked so-o-o good. And, of course, after I got home, I was wishing I had bought this--and this--and this!!! And, again, maybe next time.....








7 comments:

Teresa said...

The pictures you show are amazing in and of themselves. I would like to be able to here this lady speak at our guild. Thanks for sharing.

Yum, those veggies look good!

Christine Thresh said...

I enjoyed visiting your blog. I'll be back. Those beautiful vegetables look good enough to eat.

Lorraine said...

Wow - those images look amazing...will have to do some research! and you gotta love farmers markets ... we have one near our home which is open on saturday mornings...it is always packed..my favourite time is when the summer stone fruits are in season...yum! they always taste much better than the supermarket fruit! well I think anyway....!

Anonymous said...

Her quilts are stunning. I hope I can take a class from her some day.

Libby said...

Gorgeous produce - it can be so hard to hold back and not buy everything in sight *s* We are fortunate to have our Farmer's Market set up twice a week . . . helps a little.

Karen said...

I watched a program on the Ricky Timms & Alex Anderson's show a couple days ago. The guest uses Photo shop for her quilts also. Not the same person as your guest speaker. Ricky Timms also highly recommends it. Sounds interesting. Beautiful quilts!

julieQ said...

That sounds like such a fun new quilting technique! I love her giraffe quilt. Your veggies look good enough to eat!