Monday, January 15, 2007

Two Good Things About a Winter Storm...



Kansas City has been hit with snow, ice, and lo-o-ow temperatures! Great day for playing in the snow (not!) or sewing! I was able to finally sew my last two blocks for the Birds of a Feather quilt. Of course, birdie still needs some embroidered legs. I am eager to put all twelve blocks back up on the design wall but it is currently occupied by the teal strippy snowball blocks. I was able to get a total of 64 of the teal blocks done--yay! Now I can start on the black strippy blocks. Don't want to take them off the wall because of the placement of the teeny corner squares--has to be just so for the pattern to work. So in the meantime, BOAF will hang on a wire hanger with clothespins. All the BOAF blocks are different sizes so it will be a conundrum (love that word) to get them all to fit in properly!!! I have not decided for sure which border treatment I will use. I am leaning towards Alma Allen's which is a bold floral fabric with a prairie points inner border. Love Barb Adams choice too which has lots of applique, but I am just a bit burnt out on the applique!!!! In fact, that last applique block up there is minus a lot of the leaves shown in the original pattern!! It was a bit too busy for my taste and, did I mention, I am burnt out on the applique??? I did use Barb's color scheme of red, green, and white. I guess I'll be on the lookout for the perfect border print! I wanted to thank all of you who gave me suggestions for how to store my KC Star newspaper patterns from the 20s and 30s! For now I am going to put them in acid-free plastic sleeves, then decide a more permanent solution. Y'all are the best!

13 comments:

Angie said...

Gorgeous, just gorgeous--that BOAF!!! ;P

Melanie said...

Beautiful blocks. I can't think of a better way to enjoy the snow!!!

Libby said...

Birds of a Feather is going to be gorgeous. I think your snowmen must feel very happy with the weather conditions *s*

Clare said...

Beautiful blocks - there is something about red and greeen together that just gets me. I don't know why.

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love your snowmen! They are way too cute! I love all your quilts and decorations you use!

Linda C said...

I have wondered how you were faring with those winter storms hitting the plains states and midwest. Only thing to do in a snowstorm is look out the window at it and enjoy the snowmen displays INSIDE.

Your blocks are turning out well!

What a wonderful treasure from your previous post too.

Anonymous said...

Great snowman collection! Love the blocks too - the red colour is wonderful.

Quilting Kim said...

Your blocks are just beautiful. I also like your snowman display - they seem to have a lot of personality.

MARCIE said...

Yay! You are doing the Birds of a Feather! Awesome! I haven't even finished my sample from class--I still need the pieced border. Other things shove their way into my life. Ref. to your earlier posting: what are quilty podcasts? Sounds fun.All your afghans are wonderful!Stay warm!

Susan said...

I can hardly wait to see the BOAF on the design wall - or the teal and black, for that matter. I know they will both be gorgeous.

Finn said...

Hi Vera, the last of your BOM's blocks look wonderful. Will be fun to see it together..*S*

And I love the shelves of snowpeople..what a great collection you have.

I've been more missing than present lately, but I have to say I do love the look of your strippy snowballs. I think it will be a really stunning quilt. Hugs, Finn
P.S. I've been in that same "lull" of chrocheting. Just seemed to work for right now..*S*

Angela said...

Gorgeous work honey.

Judy said...

Well I only left out one leaf because I couldn't get the super tight twist of the bias strip like they did, but I am so over tiny skinny leaves!!! Why would they add so many to this last one?? The size was simply too small. Good idea you had to leave some off! I also am going for the wider floral fabric and I don't know about the praire points, I might just make triangles or something that looks like the Praire points!

Whatever you do. I'm sure both quilts will be wonderful!