Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Great Read, WIP Wednesday, 4 More




Does my title sound like code today? I'll start with Great Read. I scored this wonderful book at my library the other day and have been engrossed in it (between sewing) ever since. Of course, Gwen Marston is my favorite quilter, but the book is about Mary Schafer. Mary was an extraordinary quilter who helped carry on the quilting tradition in the 50s, 60s, and beyond--when quilting was at a low point popularity-wise-- till the Bicentennial revival of interest. Gwen befriended her and has helped to bring her amazing work to the attention of us who might not have known about her. The book describes their friendship and many of Mary's other friendships with quilters--mostly through letterwriting and pattern round robins. Many of her quilts are in museum collections. They are truly magnificent. Also so very touching is the story of Mary's early life and hardships. A most terrific read, an inspiration to all quilters, and just a lovely book. Thank you, Gwen!!! I think I will need to purchase this one! Next up, WIP Wednesday. Regular readers of this blog may remember this string quilt work-in-progress from a very early post. It has been buried in the tub of UFOs for a while. I dug it out this morning with renewed interest, partially because I am so "string quilt manic" right now and partially because I need to purchase border fabric for BOAF and for the snowball quilt before I can go any farther on those. I adore string quilts and could happily spend the rest of my quilting days just doing those, I think! Last photo today is of the four new string blocks I made for Heartstrings (see sidebar) to go with the four I made earlier. Will be sending those off soon.

15 comments:

Libby said...

I'm going to have to go check my library -- sounds like a great book.

Melanie said...

Love the string blocks--- I'm going to research your book. thanks for sharing.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh my gosh, I love those string blocks! Oh you have to keep going!

I bought that book a few years ago at a quilt show and love it!

Carol said...

I love your string blocks...what a wonderful setting. I'll have to look for that book.

Jo Raines said...

Sounds intriguing. A book was written about the quilts of a locally famous philanthropist and member of one of the founding famililes of our county, Mary Black. There is a hospital named for her. She kept several quilts in the family and had pinned their history to each of them to keep the legacy alive in the family.

Patti said...

I really like that book also. I bought a copy last year. Did you know that Mary just died this week at the age of 96? I'm on the quilt history list and they posted that information yesterday.

Love the strings with the purple!

Mary Johnson said...

I loved that book too - It's in my personal *library* of quilt books.

Great string quilts - I love all the variations out there.

Jane Ann said...

Oh, my, now I am really curious about Mary Schafer. I've never seen that book, but I'll be looking for it tomorrow. Thanks so much.

Love, love, love string blocks and yours are wonderful with that purple!

Clare said...

Love your string blocks.

Samantha said...

Oooh, that WIP is wonderful!

Kay said...

I am also a string quilt fan. I have enough strips to make many, and periodically put together a charity quilt. Have fun.

Darlene said...

Just popping in to say Hi as I work my way around the Stash Quilts Ring. Love the string blocks, Vera!

Susan said...

Love your string quilt on the purple background! On your recommendation, I used part of my gift certificate total to buy this book. I like history books.

Deb Hardman said...

Love your strings Vera.

I also love Gwen Marston. I met her & took her Liberated piecing class many years ago, before she published her book on Liberated piecing. She's a fun teacher, & really did liberate me! I have to credit her right up there with Caryl Bryer Fallert & David Walker, in my list of teachers who had the most influence on me.

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

Love your blog and pics.