Monday, June 04, 2007

Nickel Squares

















Last mini-group meeting we started discussing what we might do with all our charm squares we had exchanged during our year-long swap. None of us had definitely decided, but all of us had some thoughts running around in our heads! I have bookmarked several patterns in both the Nickel Quilts and More Nickel Quilts books. The first photo is of a Paducah Nine Patch block from Nickel Quilts which I fell in love with the moment I saw it. One problem may be that it will take 169 of these little babies to make a queen-sized quilt!!! Definitely need some quick cutting strategies. Definitely!!! The second photo is of some pyramid samples. I have always wanted to do a pyramid quilt. The top one is using an equilateral triangle acrylic template which would be very handy. But, of course, I like the bottom isosceles triangle better--for which I have no acrylic template! The one I used was cut from template plastic and may not be as accurate as need be. Hmmm...wonder if there is a place that will custom cut acrylic templates??? One of our members is set on making hers a true "charm" quilt--one template only and no fabric repeated. Another gal is leaning towards just making HSTs with lights and darks. It will be so much fun to see what we all come up with. We are planning a "field trip" this Friday to the IMQA show. I went last year and just loved it. Even though I don't own a longarm machine, there were plenty of other yummies to hold my attention. They advertise over 400 quilts to view, thousands of thread varieties, hundreds of FQs, and on and on. Our plastic will be smokin' ! Then we'll lunch at Cinzetti's, a wonderful Italian spot. It will be a great outing.


In a recent issue of the Kansas City Star magazine, they ran an article on the Golden Ratio--a mathematical and architectural concept which is a ratio (phi) that gives an aesthetically pleasing proportion. While I never did get into Feng Shui, this concept intrigues me as something that might be helpful in planning quilt designs. In a nutshell, here's phi: Picture a line divided into two unequal segments. If the line is divided at exactly the right point, one segment would be 1.618 times the length of the other, and the whole line would be 1.618 times the length of the longer segment. (Sorry 'bout all that math!!!) The ratio shows up a lot in nature and art--it's the ever-increasing widths of the segments of a spiral seashell. It's the ratio of the width of the Parthenon to its height. It's the ratio of the length of your forearm to your hand. Michelangelo's David has the phi proportions. I find this so fascinating and want to do much more reading. Well, did you guess which lamp has the phi going on? The one on the left! The base of the lamp is about 1.6 times the height of the shade. It looks balanced. The lamp on the right has a shade that is much taller, making it look awkward. Hmmm...I think I need to redecorate!!!

22 comments:

Saska said...

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger2/2765/3583/1600/HOOKTEMPLATE.jpg

Here's a picture of the template I purchased in Houston--I have about 1/3 of them sewn together--for a Q-size quilt. It came from:
http://www.oldegreencupboard.com/home.html

I also purchased some templates from ebay.

Finn said...

Hi Vera, what fun to comtemplate...nickle squares ala group! I had to giggle at your one gal, she's only half right about the charm quilt...LOL The one shape only(triangle, square,hex, etc) is what makes a quilt a "one patch"...the 'charm' only applies to a fabric only appearing once in a quilt. Hard to do back in the day of limited scrapbags. I picked up a neat book of one patch designs from Hamilton Book.You'd think it would only be a few, but actually it surprised me...including the water tumbler and your pyramid.
The phi thing is interesting..sadly I like the look of the lamp on the right better..*VBS*, call me a misfit..*S* Hugs, Finn

Have fun at the show!

Patti said...

Kathie Holland asked me to let you know that Brandy's will custom make templates for you. She and I have both used them - they are great. Here is the website:

http://www.brandysquiltpatterns.com/acrylic.html

Libby said...

It's funny how I tried so hard to avoid things like 'pi' and 'isoscoles trianges' in school . . . only to find myself filling my leisure time with them now. If only I had paid better attenion *s*

Tazzie said...

That is one of my favourite books! I must be a misfit too, I kind of like the lamp on the right better!
*hugs*
Tazzie
:-)

Knot Garden said...

Your Paducah nine patch block looks lovely in those fabrics. I like the lamp on the right, but maybe that's because of the shape rather than the proportions.

The Calico Cat said...

Oy the guilt, I guess I really should try working on my Paducah 9-patch again... (mine is a really good example of how different 1/4 seam allowances can be... 2 quilters, 3 machines...)

Darlene said...

Just recently I was going to ask you if you and your group had decided what you were going to do with your exchanged nickle squares. (see, I do pay attention - teehee)I love your Paducah 9 patch block and the triangles will be fun.

Angie said...

Hi Vera! :D Hmmm, I never did get those 'Nickle Square' books, but I think I may have to after all. :) I just keep thinking about using Darlene's pattern when I get around to cutting those charm packs. Your Paducah 9-patch is great in those colors. And I guess I'm a 'misfit' too...I would love to have the lamp on the right. LOL

Anonymous said...

I've been working on my P9P blocks again lately. The thing I didn't understand until I bought the book and figured out the cutting directions, is that the P9P requires two PAIRS of nickle squares for each block. I had ordered a charm pack from Hancock's of Paducah, and had to turn around and order a 2nd one. I see you didn't use matching pairs, but stayed in the same color family. It's a fun quilt.

Jeanne said...

The Paducah Nine Patch quilt has been on my 'to do' list since I first saw it, too. I will watch yours grow with great anticipation.

Anonymous said...

When I began quilting in 1999, I read of this theory and it was suggested that, for multiple borders, each successive one should be 1.6 times the size of the previous one. I never tried it, but it still sounds like something I might like to try when I have no other projects. :0 I have to admit also to liking the lamp/shade combo on the right. Sheila in Ohio

QuiltingFitzy said...

oh, I did NOT see that Paducah 9-patch, I did not, I did not. You and Jane Ann, I swear!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I know about the theory of Phi, it is fascinating and functional knowledge, too! Especially when we apply such things to our passion, patchwork! I love those nickel quilt books, too.

Quilts And Pieces said...

I have loved Paducah 9-patch for so long! And have hundreds of nickel squares saved up to make it. Just need to start! I bet you could get some place to make you a template.

Mama Spark said...

My boss's wife in in KC right now and is going to the same show. She is not a long arm quilter but we are friends with one and I know she will look at patterns for her. Have fun at the show.

dee said...

Oh My Vera, I have all those fabrics...hmmmm. Yours look spectacular-love that block. is immitation still the most sincere form of flattery??? Seriously, I'd been wondering how to use them best-now I know. Very pretty

Anonymous said...

This may have already been covered in someone else's comment but I'll give my 2cents worth anyway. Living in Small Town America I have had to hunt for this and that around town. When I needed some acrylic purse bottoms cut I went to the local glass shop...they were more than happy to cut them for me and since I was willing to dig through his scraps he let cut them for $1 each. later when I wanted an extended work surface for my Featherweight I went down and had him cut that as well, I just took a paper template down and he cut it perfectly. You might try a glass shop and be sure to ask if they have scraps...I am sure you will find a piece just the right size!

Pam @
www.pamgwillim.com

Anonymous said...

I am handpiecing/handquilting a 1000 Pyramids quilt. I love the way it looks with one light, one dark, one light, one dark. It is so fun to look at, it is almost a charm quilt, some fabrics are in it twice. Good luck with whatever you do, and share photos!

CONNIE W said...

Great post and information.

Andi said...

So...how did you like the show? I was there and had a blast!!!

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

I couldn't help but giggle at your strips of paper coming out of your Nickle book. I have the same things coming out of my collection of books. Presumably this is because I'm going to make those quilts marked.