Thursday, June 14, 2007

Dribs and Drabs


Long time no blog! I have been out of town for a few days and am trying to get caught up with blogreading and blogwriting! Not a whole lot of quilting going on the past few days. I did get another block for the 12 Days of Christmas wallie appliqued last week. He is the 12 Pipers Piping guy.










Another little project in the "how to avoid housework" department has been soapmaking. No, not the lye variety that our great-grannies might have concocted! These are the simple glycerine-chunks-melted-in-the-microwave-with-soapdyes-and-soapfragrances-added variety! Here are some curing and some still in the molds. Won't they make cute gifties with a hand-crocheted spa cloth???








And summer gifties for my sisters...crocheted dishcloths and appliqued kitchen towels to add a little summer fun!




Today is our guild's installation of officers ceremony and potluck luncheon. These are always such delicious fun. Aren't quilters just the best cooks??? I am taking my sour cream banana bundt cake:

1/3 cup softened butter
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1 t. vanilla
3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups flour
1 1/4 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 cup sour cream

Cream together butter and sugar, add eggs until well-blended. Stir in vanilla and bananas. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add to batter, alternately with sour cream. Pour into a greased and floured 10" bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes, till tests done with toothpick. After cooling, the cake can either be dusted with powdered sugar or lightly frosted. I like the canned sour cream frosting with this (about 1/2 the can). Note: this is probably NOT on any weightloss diet program!!!!

7 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

The gifts are wonderful and sure to be appreciated by one and all. I'm sure the soaps smell heavenly, too. Do you only applique one piper as a representative of the twelve or are there eleven more to do? He's cute.

Knot Garden said...

I love the red dishcloths:) I wish I could find dishcloth cotton in nice colours in the UK.

Libby said...

Can't get enough of those Christmas blocks.
Your watermelon cloths and towels are so fresh and summery looking . . . a perfect gift.

Angie said...

Hi Vera, I've been wondering where you were. First I go MIA, then you go!! LOL Love your little fella there, and your dishcloths and towels are so cute!! Yummmm, I can't wait to try the cake. I love anything with sour cream and/or bananas! Thanks for sharing it with us. So glad you're 'back'. :)

Susan said...

I love the Piper! He has a wonderfully charming manner. The soaps look fabulous - I love the colors. The dishcloths and towels are a nice combination gift. Lucky sisters!

Frosty Quilter said...

Thanks for the recipe!
The piper is so darling. Nice job!

Silverthimble said...

Very cute watermellon kitchen accessories! Thanks for the recpie! I have some bannanas on the counter that will be perfect for this. You timing is perfect!