Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Thanksgiving Contribution


Yum....best eating day of the year is just around the corner! My family will be treated to turkey dinner with all the trimmings at my sister's house. And we'll get to spend time with some relatives that we ONLY see on Thanksgiving! Old traditions will carry on and new ones will be made. Belts will be loosened, football games will be watched by some, family stories will be recalled by others and for the day, old grudges will be forgotten!

Each year I bring two pies and a veggie casserole to the gathering--much easier than preparing the whole meal, n'est pas? These may vary from year to year, but most often it is broccoli rice casserole, pumpkin pie and pecan pie.

This broccoli rice casserole is a recipe I came across way back in the 60s or 70s--an oldie but goodie for sure. Over the years I have simplified it. It does use convenience foods--which I try very hard to avoid in my day-to-day cooking, who needs all that sodium-- and the microwave. I guess I rationalize that with the fact that I have to get out the door by 11AM to make the hour's drive. I just need to "git-er-done"! They still taste amazing!


Broccoli Rice Casserole In a small glass bowl soften 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion in 1/4 cup unsalted butter in the microwave. Cook a bag of Success Rice according to package directions. In a large oven safe casserole dish cook 24 oz. chopped frozen broccoli in the microwave, according to package directions. Drain excess water from broccoli, then add the onion, rice, 1 can cream of celery soup and 1 small jar Cheez Whiz. Stir, then bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. To keep the casserole warm while transporting, I use my old trusty quilted casserole carrier--it works!


If there is a better recipe for pumpkin pie than the one on the Libby's label, I have not found it.



Libby's Pumpkin Pie In a small bowl mix 3/4 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 t ground cinnamon, 1/2 t ground ginger, 1/4 t ground cloves. Beat 2 large eggs in a large bowl. Stir in 1 15 oz. can pumpkin and the sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in 1 12 oz. can evaporated milk. Pour into an unbaked deep-dish (4 cup volume) pie crust. Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes, then reduce temp to 350 degrees and bake 40 - 50 minutes more or till knife inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean. Cool completely. Serve with whipped cream.



This pecan pie recipe dates way back, too. I found it in the old Dear Abby column one year and it has been my go-to pecan pie recipe ever since.

Dear Abby's Kentucky Pecan Pie In a large mixing bowl combine 1 cup white corn syrup, 1 cup dark brown sugar--firmly packed, 1/3 t salt, 1/3 cup melted butter and 1 t vanilla. Add 3 slightly beaten eggs. Pour into a 9-inch unbaked pie crust. Sprinkle 1 heaping cup pecan halves over all. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 45 - 50 minutes. Cool completely. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Food, family, fun--what could be better?

4 comments:

Libby said...

We are starting some new traditions this year. Now that we live in the same area as The Princess but not in the same house. I have asked her to bring an appetizer and the pies. Pecan is Hubby's favorite, so I will be sharing your recipe with her today!

Nana's Quilts said...

Yummy. I have a broccoli and rice recipe and had forgotten all about it. Good suggestion for our contributions. Thanks.

Paula, the quilter said...

I'll second that best pumpkin pie recipe! It's the one I use too.

sb said...

I agree with you on the pumpkin pie recipe. I've been making it for over 50 years and have never gotten tired of it.