Saturday, November 10, 2007

Orange Is the Word

At guild meeting Thursday our speaker was a quilt shop owner whose program was a brief overview of what's new in quilting, gleaned from her recent trip to Houston market. She saw lots of orange tones in the new fabric lines! Well, I do find myself drawn to the gorgeous shades of corals and pumpkins. She said the large florals seem to be on the wane. She also stated that she thought DMC floss would soon be a thing of the past, due to some color-running issues. I've never had a problem with DMC floss running but apparently some have. She was pushing the Prescencia flosses. I have used it and do love the yummy color selection. She said it was colorfast and she is seeing lots of conversion charts for DMC to Prescencia. Another big trend she noted was the use of embroidery in quilts--both hand and machine. (Maybe I'll finally get my money's worth out of that embroidery module!) Thirties prints will be back with a vengeance. In addition to the extremely popular jelly rolls and charm squares, fabric will be sold in "cake layers" which are 10" x 10" charms. She showed a few new products--the extra-large yoyo maker and colored tape for acrylic rulers and some rotary cutter gadgetry, to name a few. I purchased Judy Laquidara's wonderful book (Hi, Judy!) from her:




And look at these two amazing quilts inside!!! Hourglass Surrounded--wow, does that pop right off the page. Yep, orange IS the word. Love the graphic repeat quality and the secondary patterns of this quilt. Keep In Touch is so-o-o sweet and the adorable ribbon-y border is so eyecatching.
She immediately sold out of a new pattern by the lady who is famous for the Yellow Brick Road pattern. (Sorry, I'm having a senior moment here and can't remember if her name is Terry Adkins, Atkins, Adkinson.....) It is a four-hour beauty and I added my name to the list of folks to be called when it comes in!!!!
Today's lunch: Potato Soup in the Crock Pot
Put in the crock pot 6 potatoes--peeled and cubed, a small onion--diced, a stalk of celery--diced, 2 14 1/2 oz. cans chicken broth plus enough water to make 5 cups total, 1/3 cup margarine--cubed, salt, pepper, celery salt to taste. Cover and cook for 10 - 12 hours on low. During the last hour of cooking add a 13 oz. can of evaporated milk, 1 cup cubed Velveeta, and 4 slices bacon that have been fried crisp & crumbled. Mmmm...serve with a topping of chives or chopped green onion. Also, there will be a cheesy herb bread from the bread machine.
Can't get enough hot soup in November!

15 comments:

sewprimitive karen said...

Oh good, just love orange. Thank you for the Houston update!

Libby said...

Good news for orange - an area that is lacking in my stash. *time to shop*

Yummers! said...

Ooooooo... the soup sounds yummy!! I'm so glad you included the recipe. Thanks mucho!! It's soup season here in Wisconsin.

Notice I go for the food before the quilting. But I'm glad you passed on all of 'what's trendy' in the world of quilts. Especially the embroidery floss as that's on my shopping list for sometime in the next week. I need a project to take with me to AZ for Thanksgiving week. I need to keep my hands busy as I visit.

I thought of you the other day as I watched the movie 'Laura'. I had seen it on your 'favorites' list. I've loved Laura since I was a girl. I was in Paris with a girlfriend and we walked past a theater that was showing 'Laura'. We went to see it in English with French subtitles. It was like a little touch of home. A comfort movie. Now I watch it every once and awhile.
Happy creating, Vera!
Hugs, joni

CONNIE W said...

Vera, Thanks for the great post and the photos. You sound so happy! I love potato soup and made it this week. I'm working on perfecting my recipe and I'm just about there! This cool weather is perfect for soup. Have a great weekend. :)

Anonymous said...

Orange is my FAVE color! Can't wait to use more of it in 2008.

julieQ said...

I love orange, too. I made an all orange string quilt from scraps for a friend at her request. It got away without a picture..:( I like orange as an accent, the whole quilt was a LOT of orange!!

JulieQ

Betsy said...

vera, I too love orange. To be exact I was making some hexagons on my road trip this weekend with orange fabric.
I have about 20 rolls of Presencia pearl cotton, I simply love it.
Betsy

Helen in the UK said...

Very interesting to hear about the new trends coming into quilting. I'm not a fan of orange, but will have to see what the new lines are like :)

*karendianne. said...

Orange is my favorite color...or one of them I should say.

I really appreciate you sharing some of the latest stuff from Houston.

Laurie Ann said...

Hmmm. I've never had problems with DMC running either. But all my floss is so old, maybe it is a new problem?

Janet said...

Not too worried about the floss - I have enough stashed to live 3 lifetimes and not run out!! Sometimes wonder why we listen to the trendsetters - last year, lime was the "new neutral" and big flowery borders are de rigeur even though nice hand quilting can't be seen on them. For the foreseeable future I'll be using up what is in my groaning stash so will not be tempted to orange, lime, big splashy florals or whatever comes next - let's hear it for reducing the stash!!!

Susan said...

Atkinson. =) Love her designs. Judy was right on the crest of the orange wave, wasn't she?

I'll have to try your potato soup - it's one of my favorite soups, and I'm always happy to try a new verison.

YankeeQuilter said...

Thanks for the quilting news update! When I took a year long Baltimore Album class I sat next to a quilter whose motto was "orange is a neutral." She finally got me hooked on orange!

The recipe sounds great! I'm going to give it a try this week!

Marilyn Robertson said...

The new trends in the quilting world sound interesting. Cake layers? What a neat name for 10" squares!

Teodo said...

Ciao,
I'm happy to have found your comment.........

Your blog is very interesting and I wanted to look a bit before answer.........

If Italy is in your heart pheraps a day we can meet if you come back..........
Ciao ciao from Italy