Wednesday, September 26, 2007

It Was Inevitable....




Eventually, if a person does applique long enough, she wants to be able to draw some of her own designs. However, I am extremely drawing-challenged. I managed to make it all the way through high school and college without ever taking a drawing/art class. Boy, do I regret that now. I decided to check out the drawing pencils at the local craft store and bought a few. Well, lo and behold, this little booklet Draw Now! was packed inside the box of pencils! I think what I REALLY need is one of those kids' books that shows you the step-by-step of turning basic shapes into something that actually LOOKS like something LOL. Maybe that will be my next purchase with a coupon. Any blogreaders have a suggestion? I have readied a little sketch book to practice in...





This just in: "Internet Is Fattening." This morning I baked the Peanut Blondies from a recipe I found on this blog. (Scroll down to the Sept. 17th post.) Haven't tasted them yet, but boy, was the batter de-lish!!! Mmmm...peanut butter, brown sugar, dryroasted peanuts, white chocolate chips..what's not to like????

















And to return the calories to Blogland, I offer this recipe for DH's favorite fall dessert. I just call it Favorite Fall Dessert (clever, huh?)


Spray a 2 quart baking dish lightly w/ Pam. Cover the bottom of the dish generously with pared and thinly-sliced apples (about 5 large). Mix 3/4 cup sugar, 3 T. margarine, cubed, 1 t. baking powder, pinch of salt, 1/2 cup milk, 1 cup flour. Spread over fruit. Mix 1 cup sugar, 1 t. cinnamon, 1/2 t. ginger, 1/2 t. all spice. Sprinkle over top. Pour 2/3 cup boiling water over top. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. A hunk of vanilla ice cream on a serving doesn't hurt anything either.



Not much quilting yet this week, but tomorrow at my guild's sewing bee one of the members is teaching a darling jeans purse. So I've been gathering up all the supplies for that and will, hopefully, have a photo of a new purse to post soon!



7 comments:

Patti said...

Oh, looks yummy!

A friend recommended the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" to me several years ago. I got it as well as the kit she puts together to go with the book. It looks wonderful, but I've not yet had a chance to do anything with it. Another thing that will happen with retirement!

Do a search for that title on Amazon and all of her things will come up in the search. This is a teacher who says she has been able to teach anyone to draw, and by the pictures in the book I believe it. There's probably a large bookstore near you somewhere there in KC so I bet you can find it so you can take a look.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh the blonde things look good, but your DH favorite fall dessert looks even better! And don't come to me for help with drawing - I'm drawing hopeless!

sewprimitive karen said...

Ye gods the taste treats look sooo good. I always had those Jon Gnagy Learn to Draw kits growing up; they had the "shade the cone" type of drawing exercises. I adored those things so much.

Carol said...

I am pitiful when it comes to drawing so I am no help there...I am going to thank you you for both those recipes...YUMMY! And I can surely understand why the internet is fattening :-)

Sweet P said...

I took private drawing and art lessons for two years before I started quilting. I still can't draw. Instead, now that I've started stitcheries, I've discovered tracing paper and iron-on pencils. So far I like that process.

Granny said...

I'm anxious to see how your drawing goes. I am terribly drawing challenged too but keep thinking it should be fun!

Laura said...

Just have fun with it! I tend to doodle out my ideas and then when I actually decide to do one I go back and really work on the shapes at that point. Good luck!