Wednesday, April 21, 2010

40 Earth Days

I actually do remember the very first Earth Day, April 22nd, 1970.    I was teaching at a small elementary school and my dear, dear friend (who passed away in 1989 from breast cancer) was the catalyst for a big celebration at our school.   We planted a tree and did a lot of ecology-related projects with our students.   We drew pictures of ways we could help the earth.   We sang songs about the earth and read poems exalting our planet.   It was such a hopeful joyous day.   I wish we had come farther in taking care of our environment since 1970.

I try every year to add one more thing to the list of ways to live "green" and purchased the book  Do One Green Thing by Mindy Pennybacker  It is a wonderful book chock full of practices that are better for your health, better for the planet, and better for social justice.   This year's "one more thing" will be to strive to eat more locally grown organic produce and to support local sustainable farming.

Happy Earth Day!

4 comments:

Sharon said...

Great ideas. I'm going to Home Depot today to purchse the supplies for my raised garden beds. Fresh veggies for me this summer!

Libby said...

I'm struggling with 'local' eating these days . . . . New England is just not famous for avocados, etc. *s* I'm hoping to do better once this year's crops come in *s*
In the meantime, I'll try planting a few things that I can preserve to get me through next winter.

julieQ said...

We planted flowers on Earth day...looks good! Hope you had a nice day too.

Teresa said...

Cute bunny picture and stern owl - hope those two never meet up with each.