Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Mantra...

I WILL sew today. I WILL sew today. I WILL sew today. After a few days of dawdling and excuse-making and just generally not-wanting-to, I decided this morning that I would sew! Not, of course, those items that are glaring at me: the ninth block of Birds of a Feather, the three Jo's Scrappy
Stars blocks, the Scrapbag Explosion, and on and on. But just something I was in the mood to sew--so there, Sewing Room! I wanted to contribute a couple of blocks to the Leukemia quilts so I used the Double Windmills directions in one of Billie Lauder's wonderful booklets. And I wanted to bind the Boo quilt to hang on the porch. I used the Boo quilt to practice free-motion quilting and I really hope you can't see it all that well!!! I haven't practiced for several weeks and it showed. I have decided that FMQ is something I need to do every single day (for the rest of my life, probably!!!) Today was another one of those
sit-around-and-wait-on-repairpersons-days so I needed projects that I could do easily. This time it was the window-replacement guy. Couldn't have been nicer! One of our tall windows lost its vapor lock. I had never heard of such a thing, but apparently it is fairly common. It will have to be replaced. I want to get it done soon before chillier weather sets in. Right now in KC it is 69 degrees, sunny with a light breeze--just a perfect day. But as fellow Missourians know, just wait 15 minutes!!! Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

Hedgehog said...

Love those red and white blocks! I think you're right about the free-motion quilting.

Joyce said...

I agree aboutthe FMQ. It's HARD to learn. We had to replace all our windows last year because a lot of them had lost the vapor lock. THen you can never get them clean. It was a drag but our new windows are much nicer so not complaining much.

Texan said...

What a cute little fellow your scarecrow is :O) and the boo quilt for porch just to cute!! Okay I have to get my fall decorations out!!!!

quiltpixie said...

looks like you had a fun day sewing, a little of this a little of that. And what a good use of "repairmen time" :-)

Shelina said...

Making progress on something is much better than making progress on nothing.
Don't be so hard on yourself for FMQ. Once you wash the quilt, the stitches will be hidden inside the folds of the fabric anyway. And maybe you can look at some store bought quilts for comparison. Most people aren't going to look that closely. And I think most members of the quilt police is nearsighted.

Sue Seibert said...

"Right now in KC it is 69 degrees, sunny with a light breeze--just a perfect day. But as fellow Missourians know, just wait 15 minutes!!!" Guess that's why my Missourian grandmother accepted living in Texas with my Texan grandfather...we say the same thing...only 10 minutes, instead of 15!

My problem is setting up a new studio...fun, but it takes away from my sewing and painting and etc.etc.etc.

Ali Honey said...

That's a cute little guy on your porch seat!
I'm still practising my FMQ too.

Anonymous said...

I like the red and white blocks, they look really fresh and crisp.

Juliann in WA said...

love your blocks and you little boo quilt on the porch is wonderful
Happy Fall - Juliann

Quilts And Pieces said...

I love your boo quilt! and it looks so great out by your swing!

Linda C said...

So back to work for you and not necessarily what you feel like what you NEED to do--but sometimes the new "wanna" project will jump start the old "hafta" project. Ask me how I know that, LOL.

Our windows on the whole east side of the house have had that same problem. All windows but one that is have had that vapor lock thing--and usually in the upper window. We did the repair installation ourselves though.

Getting the section out from above the kitchen sink was a real bear as not only did we have to get the window out to have the glass measured but you have to reinstall it while you wait till the glass comes in, they install that at the shop and then round two of take it out and put it back in. DJ used silicone caulk to seal all the windows so gooey sticky icky mess and prying, pulling, tugging made worse by the fact that neither of us remembers the exact steps to take in doing the job, LOL.

Libby said...

Enjoy your sewing time. Your porch quilt and scarecrow are just great. I have been putting some of my early quilts (with fmq practice) on the rocker on the porch. If they get a bit faded from the sun, it's okay. Not my best work -- but the porch looks cozy *s*

Anonymous said...

Hooray for a day with sewing, and repaired windows!

Unknown said...

Hi Vera, isn't that the truth just wait 15 minutes and our weather changes, it's nice that we are seeing a little of the much needed rain. I love your wonky house, I know what you mean about FMQ I have to practice all the time and I'm still not very good. Here's hoping we both get better with time but really yours looks great....
Hugs Tina in Blue Springs

Finn said...

Your red and white blocks are just great Vera! I love ALL the red and white ones I've been seeing, and for such a good cause!!
Boy, it's hard to get to that "sew and sew" place, at times, isn't it?
I love your BOO! quilt for the porch. It's just as cute as can be!! Hugs, Finn

Cynthia said...

I have done free motion quilting on some of my quilts. Certainly no where near perfect as it does take a lot of practice. I would need to practice for the rest of my life to get it right but at least it's more quilts nearing completion.