Monday, April 24, 2006

Spin

Posted by Picasa This is a picture of the quilt I am working on to improve my free-motion quilting skills---my practice quilt. A year or so ago my guild had an "ugly fabric" BOM drawing. Participants were given a small piece of the purply, splotchy fabric and told to create a 12 1/2 " block of choice, using the ugly piece, off white, and any other fabrics we wanted. Well, I won half of the blocks! I brought them home and tried to square them up, but not all swap blocks are created equal--if you know what I mean! I tried not to cut off any points and fudged on sashings, made two rows of friendship star blocks, added a scrappy strips inner border and a purply outer border. I named it Spin because so many of the blocks seemed to rotate. This photo is just the top without any quilting. I am now about 2/3 of the way finished with the quilting and will post a photo of the finished one soon (I hope!) My free-motion skills have a lo-o-ng way to go LOL!

1 comment:

Deb Hardman said...

I taught myself to freemotion quilt by reading Harriet Hargraves' book "Heirloom Machine Quilting". I think it's the BEST book out there. Harriet has taught us all how to quilt. Even people like Diane Guadinsky & Sue Nickles learned from her. I teach FMMQ now too & have won a couple of International awards, & it's all thanks to Harriet, & I've never even met her!